The Altar of the Oaths
The altars in the side aisles are all neo-Gothic because around 1900 the church administrators removed all the Baroque altars. Several of them ended up in the Church of St.
Waudru in Frameries.
This altar is that of the four oaths. The tabernacle is decorated with the
legend of the Virgin of Sablon. The coats of arms are those of Brabant, the Cross of Jerusalem for the
archers (handboog), below which is the coat of arms of St. George for the two oaths of the crossbowmen (voetboog), the fencers (schermers) and the arquebusiers
(kolveniers). In the center is the statue of Our Lady seated on a tree trunk, taking up the
original name of the statue brought back from Antwerp, “Onze Lieve Vrouw op t’stoksken”
(Our Lady on the Branch).
